Six weeks of fasting and prayer.
It was a request of our Fellowship this past Sunday. And it’s true, I don’t know all the details, but I know I can fast and pray for my Fellowship, for our leaders, for this country, for my family… So, while my first response may have been to bristle a little and shake my head, I’ve come around.
Here are 6 ideas (one for each week) to shake up your fasting life. 6 things unrelated to diet that maybe you’ve never considered giving up before?
1. Fast from your furniture. For one day this week pull up a piece of floor and plunk yourself down. No chairs, no tables, no couches, maybe go so far as no beds? And while your down there meditate on the fact that people the world round are living without furniture. That most people don’t have a bed, let alone an empty guest bed. Pray for our country. Not that she would be what she once was, but that she would be what God needs her to be, wants her to be.
2. Fast from your background noise. For one day shut down all the background noise. No radio, no tv playing in the background. It’s easy to fill up silence, but don’t do it today. Take captive those moments and claim them in prayer for the leadership of your local Fellowship. Pray for those men in the ordained positions of leadership and pray for the lay leaders too. We need courageous Christians, men and women of conviction and commitment who are prepared to sacrifice for Christ.
3. Financial fast. For just one day this week don’t spend any money. No debit or credit, no cash or check. Stay out of those convenience stores and off those online shops. You may need to plan ahead a little for this one or you’re going to find yourself hungry in front of the vending machine begging someone to share with you. J Let’s PRAY our way instead of PAYING our way for just one day. Pray for your family. It’s easy to take family for granted. Easy to take the way our families live for granted. Pray for God to prepare your hearts and minds for the tasks He desires you to complete.
4. Thumb fast. Okay, so this one is a little silly and hopefully a fun challenge—fasting can be fun—and it’s probably more of an evening fast or a special meal and game fast versus a whole day fast, but it’s a great one for the whole family to get in on together. Just tape those thumbs right down on the palms and see if you don’t notice! Every part of the body is important and this is a reminder of how important the Fellowship is. Pray for your Fellowship.
5. Interstate fast. Slow down today. Be reminded that the easiest route is not always the best route and the fastest way is not the only way. And as you go slowly along pray for our country. Pray for her leaders and their need for Christ. Pray for local communities and the impact Christ can have in yours.
6. Speech fast. That’s right, zip those lips. Okay, maybe not all day, but even an hour or two would make a point. And while your tongue is still remember to take time to pray. (Maybe someone would like to try the “Whisper Only Alternative?” Conduct your normal routine, but use only a whisper.)
There you have it. Tell me how your six weeks go. What are you fasting from? What are some fasts you’ve done in the past? I think we often times neglect to encourage each other in fasting because we believe it is supposed to be a big secret. I think it’s a misconception. Maybe that’s a post for another day.